Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Glacier Woodturners Association

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Intro to Glacier Turners (Read 14073 times)
Feb 13th, 2012 at 3:53pm

Don the Pen Turner   Offline
GWT Administrator
If it doesn't fit! Get
a bigger Hammer.
Polson, MT

Well to get things started, here I am.
I'm Don Blais from Polson. I've been a Turner Pen Crafter now for about five years.  It's been a great Hobby to get into. Along with my wood turning I do some flat work. Mostly small stuff. The grand kids like the toys and furniture I make for them.  Another Hobby that I have is stamp Collecting. I've been a collector for over 50 years.

Another interest I have is having my own Web Site to tinker with along with our Forum Site. I invite you all to take a look at it and maybe you can make use of it. I'll wave all the fees since you are members of Glacier Woodturners.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login

Since joining the GWTA I have enjoyed meeting a great bunch of Guys and Gals sharing their Wood Turning interests.  Now that I'm retired I look forward to the Turning meetings and other Projects the Club undertakes.

I hope to meet all the members of the Club at one time or another in the future.
Smiley Smiley Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 8:45am

Richard G   Offline
GWT Junior Turner
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Kalispell

Hello Don. Glad to see the forum up and running again, great job!  Smiley

Richard W Galloway
Historic Archaeologist
Woodworkings of Montana
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 8:52am

Richard G   Offline
GWT Junior Turner
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!
Kalispell

Guess I should follow Don's lead and do my introduction.

I started wood working as a kid and improved on my skills in high school with a Great shop teacher. I did wood working on many levels after that but only started turning while in Alaska attending grad school in 2008. My lathe of choice there was a Jet 10-14 since I did not have a shop and could set that up in my dining room. Bowls and boxes are my main items but have also done plates, pens, game calls (1 anyway), and am now branching out to include carving on my turnings and adding copper  or copper and enameled lids to my boxes.
I still have the Jet and also an old Delta 12-42 (thanks Brian) I'm using as well as another Delta 12-42 that is in the restoration/ modification stage and will be a 16-42 with a 2 hp motor with electronic controls when finished.

Ok, who's next? Let's hear how long you have been doing wood working/ turning and what lathes, equipment you use.

Richard W Galloway
Historic Archaeologist
Woodworkings of Montana
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2012 at 9:20am

Ian   Offline
GWT Newbies
Glacier Wood Turner

Well I'm cheating a little. Below is a part of my bio from Etsy and Artfire.   

My name is Ian Jeffcock.  I was born and raised in Cornwall, England. My family immigrated to the U.S. when I was sixteen years old, settling in California. I was not used to the city life and soon moved to the mountains of  N.W. Montana, where I live and work in the small town of Eureka.  It is about 40 miles west of Glacier national park and 5 miles from the Canadian border.

Although my first exposure to wood-turning was in school, in England, I did not pick it up again until six years ago. In the meantime, between raising a family and earning a living, I worked in various art forms.  These included stained glass, pottery, leather and bead-work . I always seemed to have the need to "create" something.

Then one day I dusted off an old Shopsmith that had been my father's, and the addiction began. It was not long before I was craving a bigger and more efficient and -- oh yes -- a more expensive lathe. Then there were tools to buy and....and the addiction steadily grows.  With each turned piece I try to duplicate the high of that first taste.  Add to that the excitement of cutting into a piece of wood that would otherwise be relegated to the wood pile and discovering the beautiful grain patterns and colors that nature provides, and I was totally hooked.  I soon discovered that wood was the perfect medium for my artistic expression.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2012 at 6:04am

Brian Weaver   Offline
GWT Newbies
I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

I never would have known you were from England Ian! How long did it take you to lose the accent?

I'll go next. My names Brian Weaver I am 3rd generation born and raise in the Flathead. I have handsaws from my grandfather and great grandfather so I guess wood working runs in the blood. Although I took wood shop in high school I never touched a lathe until about 5 years ago. My dad had received a lathe from a neighbor that was no longer able to use it. It was an old Craftsman mono tube that my dad turned several items on but soon out grew. He purchased a jet 1236 and gifted me with the old mono tube. Well that was it, I started spending all my evenings down at dads trying to get a handle on that spinny thing.

One night when I came home my daughter, who was in high school at the time, and who I had suggested that she would take a year of shop said, "your really enjoying that aren't you"? Yeah I said it's a lot of fun! Well come to find out she had a line on 2 older Delta Rockwell lathes that I could pickup for a ridiculous price. I was there the next day.

Not long after I started attending Tuesday night classes with Larry and boy did I learn a lot. As it was close to summer time I didn't join the Glacier Woodturners until the next September. The things I have learned and the friends I have made are well worth the low low cost of joining!

(had to throw in a little advertisement there)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print